It’s no secret that Solo: A Star Wars Story has endured some very public production woes. Former directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were let go just weeks before filming was scheduled to wrap last summer, and were replaced by the Oscar winning Ron Howard. Just recently, we learned that Lord and Miller would be settling with an “executive producer” credit, despite all the drama that’s been said to have gone on behind the scenes. Now, a new report from Vulture claims to have spoken to an unnamed actor involved with the film, and the details are interesting to say the least.
According to the source, the production was “chaotic” under the lead of Lord and Miller, going on to claim that the duo would shoot up to 30 takes for a single scene. To anyone familiar with Lord and Miller’s work, this doesn’t exactly come as a surprise. 21 Jump Street and its sequel contained scenes with heavy improvisation, and their background in animation almost demands a meticulous process. The actor then says that Howard’s style was much more controlled, as he only took only two or three takes for a given scene.
The actor then states that the pair may have been unfit for a galaxy far, far away.
“Phil and Chris were good directors, but they weren’t prepared for Star Wars. After the 25th take, the actors were looking at each other like, ‘This is getting weird.’ They seemed a bit out of control. They definitely felt the pressure; with one of these movies, there are so many people on top of you all the time. The first assistant director was really experienced and had to step in and help them direct a lot of scenes.”
Howard worked well with the film’s cast and crew, with the actor stating that he came in confident and that he was very easy to work with. Considering his impressive body of work, it comes as no surprise that Howard was able to get a handle on the troubled Star Wars spinoff.
Rouge One: A Star Wars Story was well known for the revisions made in its third act, with entirely new lines of dialogue and action scenes shot by an uncredited Tony Gilroy. Solo, however, is said to contain scene-by-scene do-overs by Howard of footage previously shot by Lord and Miller. “It’s exactly the same script,” says the source. “They’re filming exactly the same things. There’s nothing new.”
It also appears that leading man Alden Ehrenreich did in fact require an acting coach, as Lord and Miller were simply not able to get the performance out of him that they wanted. With that said, hiring the acting coach seemed to work in the production’s favor, getting a more Harrison Ford-y presence out of Ehrenreich. “You could see his acting became more relaxed,” said the source. “He became more Harrison-like. The coach helped!”
The anonymous actor goes on to say that the crew found out about Lord and Miller’s firing the same way everyone else did; by reading about it on the internet. “Everyone was texting each other: ‘Did you see the news? Do you think they’re doing reshoots?’ It was messy.”
Though Lord and Miller’s firing seemed to spell disaster for the production, it seems as if the steps taken by Lucasfilm have pulled the film in a more positive direction. We’ll find out for sure when Solo: A Star Wars Story hits theaters on May 25. –Danny O’Brien
Solo: A Star Wars Story: “Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades in a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course for one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.”